|About the Site|
|Grand Teton National Park|
The Teton Glacier is found on the north face of the Grand Teton itself, in a crevice between Grand Teton and Mount Owen at an altitude of about 7000 feet. It is one of a dozen or so small alpine glaciers found within the park.
The Teton Glacier is fed by avalanches from the cliffs around it. Formed between 500 and 1000 years ago during the "Little Ice Age", it has been retreating since 1929.
One interesting feature of the park is the number of "backrail" fences which criss-cross the valley, such as the one shown below in the Cunningham Cabin area.
Blacktail Butte, a whale-shaped hill, is found in the southeastern section of the park. It is a small mountain which reaches an altitude of 7688 feet, and is a remnant of the great glaciers which swept through the valley and carved and topped this hill. It provides excellent views of the surrounding scenery from its top. Originally called Gros Ventre Butte (by Doane in 1876), the feature was later named after the "blacktail" or mule deer which were numerous in the area and grazed its slopes.
The landscape in Jackson Hole east of the Tetons can be quite beautiful, as this meadow demonstrates.
Christian Creek in the general area of Jackson Lake Lodge.
A passage into the Teton Range is provided by Cascade Canyon, which is drained by Cascade Creek which flows into Jenny Lake. North of the canyon is Mt. St. John, while the two largest mountains immediately south of the canyon are Teewinot Mountain and Mt. Owen.
Near the Moose Entrance Station is found the Menor's Ferry Historic Site, shown below. This area features a recreation of the ferry originally started by Bill Menor in 1892.
The major road which runs through the park is Highway 191. It enters the park north of Jackson, Wyoming, and exits the park on the north border where it becomes the John D. Rockefeller Memorial Parkway. The road runs approximately parallel to the Snake River and its many turnouts and overlooks provide spectacular views of the river, the valley, and the majestic Tetons.
A second major route, the Teton Park Road, runs along the foot of the Tetons and along the edge of the lakes which exist there. It provides access to Jenny and Leigh Lakes, as well as the south section of Jackson Lake.
There is a one-way spur or loop off of the Teton Park Road which runs in front of the Jenny Lake Lodge and provides access to it and the String Lake Trail, discussed elsewhere.
The Moose-Wilson Road is the gateway to the southern area of the park. The Moose-Wilson Road runs from the Teton Park Road, near the Moose Visitor Center, toward the town of Wilson and Teton Pass. It is closed to trucks, trailers, and RVs.
The Moose-Wilson road leads to the town of Wilson, which was named after Nick Wilson, a Mormon boy who ran off from his family to live with the Shoshones, and later was one of the original Pony Express riders.
|- Next Page for Grand Teton National Park -|