|About the Site|
|Grand Teton National Park|
One of the most popular places to stay in the park is Colter Bay Village. It is the largest developed area in Grand Teton National Park.
Colter Bay Village provides lodging, a visitor center, and an Indian Arts Museum.
Colter Bay Village features comfortable, modern log cabins in a wooded setting as well as a restaurant. Some of the cabins are shown below.
There is a marina on the lake near the lodge, which provides mooring for a number of boats which ply its waters. The empoundment of the water of Jackson Lake behind the dam makes the existence of this marina possible.
The marina provides boat and canoe rentals and also offers scenic cruises.
The most luxurious lodging in the park is available in Jackson Lake Lodge. The hotel was sited by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., and cost $6 million when it was built. The picture below, looking towards the east, shows the back of the lodge from Willow Flats.
The construction of Jackson Lake Lodge generated some controversy about the appropriateness of luxury accommodations in a national park, reminiscent of issues in other parks like Yosemite. The lodge provides comfortable and high quality accommodations for park visitors. The picture below shows the front of the building.
Jackson Lake Lodge provides conference facilities as well as fine dining. One of the attractions is the lobby of the hotel which features 60 foot wide, two story windows with spectacular views of the Teton range.
Jackson Lake Lodge overlooks Willow Flats, seen in the picture below, and provides extraordinary views of the Teton Range. There are few views on earth which can compare with this magnificent scene.
Another view of the Willow Flats area and the Tetons behind it is shown below. This area is just to the east of Jackson Lake and, as can be seen here, Mt. Moran.
Another of the hotels in the park is Jenny Lake Lodge, which is located in the Jenny Lake area, in the shadow of the mountains, and which has served as a dude ranch for park visitors. It currently contains 30 individual cabins which surround its central building. It provides outstanding access to hiking and fishing nearby.
The Cunningham Cabin, pictured below, has a rich history. The cabin was built by Pierce and Margaret Cunningham, who homesteaded 160 acres in 1890. The building consists of two rooms. The logs are notched to fit together at the corners, and the cracks between logs were chinked with mud. It was here in 1893 that two suspected horse thieves by the name of Spenser and Burnett were surrounded, captured, and dealt with as an example of fatal "pioneer justice." There is considerable doubt, however, about the guilt of the parties in question, who had no opportunity to plead their case.
The main visitor center in the park is Moose Visitor Center located about 8 miles from the south entrance to the park. This area also includes the Park Headquarters, food, fuel, and other facilities.
Also located in Moose near Menot's Ferry is the Chapel of the Transfiguration. This church was built in 1925 with money provided by dude ranchers and neighbors. The land for the chapel was donated by Maude Nobel and was named for the Transfiguration of Christ. It is an Epispocal Church which welcomes people of all faiths and provides regular services during the summer months, and serves as the site for many weddings.
A number of buildings are located near the Moose Visitor Center in Moose, which is located in the southern section of the park at an altitude of about 6500 feet.
|- Next Page for Grand Teton National Park -|