|About the Site|
|Yellowstone National Park (11)|
One of the loveliest rivers in the park is the Madison River, found in the western section of the park. It is one of three rivers--also including the Jefferson & Gallatin--which join to form the mighty Missouri River, and itself is formed by the confluence of the Firehole and Gibbon Rivers.
The Madison River was a major entranceway into the park for stone age hunters, and later for Indians, trappers, explorers, and tourists. It is now known as a world famous fishing river, and features rainbow and brown trout.
A variety of wildlife can often be seen in and around the Madison River.
The Madison River was named for James Madison by Lewis and Clark on their journey of exploration in 1805. Madison was Thomas Jefferson's Secretary of State. The explorers, however, got no closer than 60 miles to what is now Yellowstone National Park.
Near the confluence where the Madison River is formed by the Firehole and Gibbon Rivers Madison River is Madison Junction, where the Madison Information Station is located, shown below. Designed by Herbert Meier, this building was opened in 1929 originally as a museum of history. It is one of several trailside museums which were built as part of the NPS interpretive program which developed in the 1920's. This building is one of 6 National Historic Landmarks in Yellowstone National Park.
Fires burned the western park of the park in 1988. Along the Madison River many trees were killed by pine bark beetles which made them prime fuel for wildfires.
|- Next Page for Yellowstone National Park -|